The following provides information on the required inspection prior to the license being issued. The link to the section in the Municipal Code for Massage is here.
To open the following information in a PDF document to print, click here.
- Sec. 14-354. - Massage therapy establishment license; special requirements.
(a) No massage therapy establishment license shall be issued or renewed unless inspection by the fire department indicates the site of the proposed establishment complies with all the applicable provisions of the fire code.
(b) No massage therapy establishment license shall be issued or renewed unless inspection by the building and code compliance department indicates that the site of the proposed establishment complies with each and all of the following minimum requirements:
(1) Minimum lighting shall be provided in accordance with the town building code and, in addition, at least one artificial light of not less than 40 watts shall be provided in each room or enclosure where massage or touching techniques are performed on patrons and shall be in use whenever such services are being performed.
(2) Minimum ventilation shall be provided in accordance with the town building code.
(3) Hot and cold running water shall be available in the establishment.
(4) Closed cabinets shall be provided for the storage of clean linens.
(5) A minimum of one dressing room for each patron to be served, and a minimum of one toilet and one washbasin shall be provided by each massage therapy establishment; provided, however, that if more than one patron will be served simultaneously at the establishment, a separate massage room is required for each patron served simultaneously, and separate dressing and toilet facilities shall be provided for male and female patrons.
(6) A minimum of one separate washbasin shall be provided in each massage therapy establishment, which basin shall provide soap or detergent and hot and cold running water at all times and shall be located within or as close as practical to the area devoted to the performing of massage or touching techniques. In addition, there will be provided at each washbasin, sanitary towels placed in permanently installed dispensers.
(7) Compliance with all applicable provisions of the town building code is required.
(c) No massage therapy establishment license shall be issued or renewed if the applicant has been convicted within the last five years of any felony, or has been convicted within the last two years of any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude.
(d) No massage therapy establishment license shall be issued to an applicant who is less than 18 years of age.
(e) A massage therapy establishment licensee shall maintain at the massage therapy establishment a current log of all employees and independent contractors at the massage establishment, including:
(1) The full legal name, date of birth, home address and telephone number, employment position, date first began employment and when employment was terminated, if applicable; and
(2) Each massage therapist's license number and date of expiration of license.
(3) The log shall at all times reflect the names for the previous one year. Wherever the log is located, the log shall be subject to inspection upon request, during normal business hours. A massage therapy establishment licensee shall maintain at the massage therapy establishment a log of all massage therapy administered at the establishment. The log shall contain the following information: date, time and type of each massage therapy administered, name and address of the client, and name of the massage therapist administering the massage therapy.
(f) An applicant for a massage establishment license, a controlling person or a designated agent for a licensee, a manager, or a licensee shall permit representatives of the police department, town departments, and any other federal, state, county agency in the performance of any function connected with the enforcement of any code, statute or regulation relating to human health, safety or welfare or structural safety, normally and regularly conducted by such agency, to inspect the premises of a massage establishment for the purpose of ensuring compliance with the law, at any time it is lawfully occupied or open for business. It is a criminal offense as provided in this chapter as well as grounds for suspension or revocation for a licensee, employee, or agent to refuse to permit an inspection of the premises or records as provided herein.